Friday, February 5, 2010

barbequed chicken

Mom was such a fabulous cook & I go back to her recipes frequently. One recipe I make regularly is her barbequed chicken. It's not a time consuming recipe & it's nice to have something baking in the oven this time of year.



1-2 chickens, cut up
Hickory smoke salt
1/2 cup water
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 tsp pepper
Place chicken pieces in baking pans. (Remember I grew up with nine siblings. Now I use one chicken or even just chicken legs.) Add water to bottom of pan. Sprinkle smoke salt on chicken (I use whatever chicken seasoning I have on hand) & layer onion on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.





Pour sauce over chicken & bake 45 minutes longer or until chicken is done.
Sauce:
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 T. mustard
1/4 cup vinegar
(I'll admit that I most often just use a bottled barbeque sauce. This sauce recipe will cover two chickens so it could easily be halved.)



So even though I tweak this recipe, it still reminds me of Mom when I use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment