Tuesday, December 20, 2011

spaghetti with chickpeas

I like hummus. So does Don. So quite awhile ago I thought I would make my own hummus. And I stocked up on garbanzo beans. I must have had at least a half dozen cans in the cupboard. Made hummus once. Still buy it ready made though. So when I found a recipe to use up some of those beans I tried it. We like it so much that I used up that last can of garbanzo beans last night. It's a recipe where I can keep the ingredients on hand & make it on short notice. Don's comment one night when I made it was "this is really good". This from my meat loving spouse.

Spaghetti with Chickpeas

3 slices bacon, diced
one yellow onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chicken stock (I mix chicken bouillon in water)
15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 lb pasta

Brown bacon in skillet. While it is browning, combine garbanzo beans & chicken stock in food processor or blender & blend until finely chopped. Add onion & garlic to bacon; saute until translucent. Add in garbanzo beans & tomatoes. Pinch of pepper flakes. Heat sauce until bubbling. Meanwhile cook pasta in boiling water as instructed on package. Drain pasta & combine with the sauce. Salt & pepper to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
To see the original recipe look here



I found a great idea for freezing bacon. Roll up 2 slices or so at a time & place rolls in a ziploc bag then freeze. When you need bacon it's easy to pull out a few slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment