Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Ted Kooser is a local poet. He was the United States Poet Laureate from 2004 to 2006. He's published a few books. A few years ago he sent out postcards with a poem for Valentine's Day to whoever wanted to be on his mailing list. I have one of those cards (I picked it up at a book signing). The title of the poem on this postcard is "A New Potato". He makes one reference to the "red skin" of this new potato which is his tribute to Valentine's Day. If you are not familiar with his poetry he writes about everyday things that we often don't give a second thought to. His poems bring those events to life. But, I'm no poet & I know it, so to take a thread from his idea I have photos today from a few everyday things (and some not so everyday) with a touch of red in the photo. Sometimes a lot of red.

This first photo though if one that Austin took. It is a photo of one of the Moffitt Cottages in Iowa City. It was a great photo to include today.

















I saw Jayden, Nancy & Mike's granddaughter, yesterday & she was wearing red . . .



This geranium sits inside the front door of the Catholic grade school in my hometown. Whenever I drive by I often look to see if this plant is blooming. And it always is. Yesterday I stopped to take a photo.



I hope you enjoy some red in your Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment