Friday, April 9, 2010

Velma

Today I went to visit my aunt, Velma, who I haven't seen for many years. My best excuse for that is that mom's dementia made her pull away further from her siblings. Any suggestion made that she should visit Velma was declined. I had never seen them close anyway. So I had stayed away too. No more excuses not to visit though.

Velma lives in a nursing home & I had a good visit with her. I noticed a beautiful quilt on her bed. I asked her about it. She said that she had embroidered the panels & her sister, Elvira, did the machine quilting. There is a sign on the wall reminding staff not to wash the quilt. Another smaller "crazy quilt" adorned a nearby chair; Velma said another sister, Lorene, quilted that. She did come from a family of women who loved to use their hands. Mom wasn't a quilter but she was a very talented seamstress & crocheted too. It's just Velma & Lorene (or Norma to most people) left of mom's siblings. I'm glad I made the time to see her again.

1 comment: