Friday, September 3, 2010

gazpacho

I have started a tradition of taking a large bowl of gazpacho to work every summer to share my tomato bounty. This year the tomatoes were again fruitful so yesterday I took in my gazpacho. I had forgotten that the hospital was treating staff to a free barbeque so I initially was sorry I'd gone to the trouble. But by the end of the day the gazpacho was all gone. A testament of how good it is. Yes nurses love to eat but I also work with a few picky eaters who wouldn't touch it either (it has avocado in it). If you like avocado, here's the recipe:

Gazpacho
3 large tomatoes, peeled & chopped (I don't bother to peel mine)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled & chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onion
4 cups tomato juice
2 avocados, chopped
5 T. red wine vinegar
4 T. olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a non-metallic bowl. Chill. (Best to chill overnight to let the flavors combine.) Serve cold. Can garnish with sour cream (I don't).



No comments:

Post a Comment