Tuesday, July 6, 2010

blueberry tart

Blueberries are something I had to acquire a taste for. Never had them as a kid. Our fruits were pretty much limited to bananas, oranges & apples. But my love of them has grown. A couple of years ago I discovered this blueberry recipe & we love it so much I try to make it two or three times when blueberries are in season. I found the recipe in a Fine Cooking magazine. My favorite cooking magazine.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
11 Tbs cold, unsalted butter
1 large egg yolk
3 Tbs whole milk (I use my skim milk)
Combine flour, sugar & salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes & add to flour. Mix on low speed 1-2 minutes. If there are still lumps of butter larger than peas break them up with your fingers. In a small bowl mix the yolk with the milk & add to the flour mixture. Mix on low speed for 15 seconds. Dough will be somewhat soft. Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap & press into a flat disk. Let wrapped dough rest in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or up to 3 days. Before rolling it out, let it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to become more pliable. (Note: This is the original recipe. I've never used my mixer. I've made it by hand or used my food processor. Letting it chill is important if you don't want a sticky mess . . . I know!)
Line baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll the dough int a round that's about 13" in diameter. It's alright if the edges are ragged. Transfer to baking sheet & put in frig while you prepare the blueberries (I do not have room in my frig for my baking sheet!).

Blueberries:
4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed (I don't measure, probably use more)
1/4 cup sugar, more to taste
1 Tbs. flour
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt
Combine ingredients.



Remove dough from frig (if you put it in) & let sit for 5 minutes to keep it from cracking when you fold it. Heap blueberries in the center of the dough. Fold the edges of the dough over some of the fruit to create a rim about 2" wide. Work your way all around, pleating as you go. Brush the pleated dough with beaten egg. Sprinkle about 2 Tbs. sugar over the dough & fruit.





Bake at 350 degrees until deeply golden brown. Let cool on a rack. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Makes great leftovers the next day, if there's any left. Serves eight.



No comments:

Post a Comment