Saturday, June 19, 2010

the Vatican

One of the biggest attractions of Rome. It's its own country. Has a wall surrounding it. We toured St. Peter's Basilica & I just stood with my mouth hanging open at the hugeness & richness of it. I must have been wandering around for half an hour before I even realized there was a Mass being said off in an alcove. It is that big. To get to the Sistine Chapel you have to hike about ten minutes along the wall to get to the museum. An incredible collection to tour before you get to the Sistine Chapel where "NO PHOTOS!" are allowed. That was the most holy room for me of them all. I made two visits to the Vatican. Still not enough to appreciate it all.





These are columns surrounding St. Peter's Square.





























Me standing in the Sistine Chapel! I didn't think they'd mind if I photographed the floor. The marble & mosaic tiles were beautiful.



This is a spiral staircase used to exit the museum. A work of art in itself.





Lots of priests! The "Year of the Priest" was winding down during our visit. Chairs were set up in the square for a special ceremony with the Pope. (We did not see the Pope on our visit.)



These women are waiting in line to get into St. Peter's. They won't let you in with bare shoulders. They probably have scarves tucked into their bags. If not they'll have to buy one or won't be allowed in.



A famous work by Michelangelo. These next four photos were taken inside the Basilica.





This marks the main altar which on the floor below is the remains of St. Peter. The catacombs are there also. We toured that; paused by the tomb of Pope John Paul II.









This is the dome atop St. Peter's Basilica. Note the people. Don made the trip up alone. There were warnings not to go if you are claustrophobic. I worried that the heat & humidity & narrowness of the stairs would do me in & there's no turning back.



This is the wall that surrounds the Vatican.



Don & I in front of St. Peter's.

1 comment: