Friday, November 2, 2012

rich chocolate toffee bars

When we had our family reunion this summer we had a fantastic turnout of great food. I was not able to sample everything but I did have a bar that my aunt, Geri, had brought (one of many she baked). So I wrote her a note thanking her for all the food she brought & described the bar to her that I had tried. She knew which one it was & sent me the recipe! I wasn't expecting that but was delighted to have it. I've made this a couple of times already. It goes together quickly. They are rich like its name says, so cutting the pieces small is a good place to start. This isn't the first recipe Geri has sent me & I always love how at the end she writes "good luck"!

Rich Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars 2 1/3 cups flour; 2/3 cup packed brown sugar; 3/4 cup butter; 1 egg slightly beaten; 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, divided; 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts; 1 can Eagle sweetened condensed milk; 1 3/4 cup (10 oz pkg) English toffee bits, divided. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9" pan. In large bowl stir together flour & brown sugar; cut in butter until resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg & mix well. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips & nuts. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the mixture. Press remaining mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over hot crust. Top with 1 1/2 cups toffee bits. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture & remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle remaining toffee bits on top. Cool completely & cut into 48 bars or as large as you wish. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment