Monday, October 29, 2012

the auction

Dad's auction this past Saturday went off without a hitch. The weather was chilly in the 40's but the wind was not a factor. I thought the attendance a bit sparse but in the end the stuff all disappeared. Many things went cheaply. I spent $10 myself on a cordless drill & an old wooden chair my grandmother had given Dad for his garage. Now it sits in my garage. Dad's eyes were red rimmed at the beginning of the day, but he mingled & visited with people. Watched as some things sold but wasn't watching everything. In the end he was just relieved to finally have it over. "Sixty years together & we never threw anything away."



David, Ted & Yvonne's son, was a tremendous help & a hard worker.



Jim, Yvonne & Nancy check out the merchandise.

My brothers wanted to heave this hair dryer into the dumpster. Nancy & I bet it would sell for at least $5. We lost. No one wanted it. I think I owe someone a beer at Dick's. We spent a lot of time under this with curlers in our hair.

This high chair was another item I was sure someone would want. Wrong again. Most of us spent time in this along with many grandchildren. Had to be careful not to pinch fingers though.

I remember shredding lots of carrots for jello salad with this. There would always be a sliver of carrot in the bottom to dig out & eat.

Dad & Mike visiting & out from the chilly weather.

Roy looking at Mom's photo album.

Abby & Olivia, Amber & Levi and Jean hanging out in the empty living room.



The '97 Mercury Grand Marquis gets auctioned off.

Dad talking to the buyer (a neighbor) about his car.

No comments:

Post a Comment