Friday, April 1, 2011

pulled pork sandwiches

I have a crockpot. It doesn't see a lot of use, but I've found a new recipe that may help it to see more activity. I'm not a great food photographer. Trust me when I say this tastes even better than it looks & the recipe is easy!

1 large yellow onion, halved & sliced
3/4 cup tomato salsa, medium heat
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 T. ground cumin
1 T. chili powder
salt
4-4 1/2 lb bone-in pork shoulder, trimmed (I used a pork loin end roast)
3 T. tomato paste

In a 4 qt slow cooker combine onion, salsa, vinegar, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder & 1/2 tsp salt. Stir together. Add the pork roast & coat with sauce. Cook 5-6 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low. I ended up cooking mine about 9 hours on low & the meat fell off the bone. Transfer the meat to a cutting board; reserve the juice. Using two forks, shred the pork. Discard the bone & fat. Put one cup of the juices & onion in a large bowl. Stir in the tomato paste & 1/2 tsp salt. Add the pulled pork & stir. Add more juice if needed. Mound the pork on toasted hamburger buns. Makes 12-16 sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment