Wednesday, May 19, 2010

rhubarb

I love rhubarb in the spring. My friend, Nancy, has a nice stand of it along her back yard & I have visited it a couple of times already this year (she doesn't like it herself). I planted a second plant in my own garden this spring so one day I won't have to rely on getting it from someone else. When we lived in Arkansas I went to the local nursery & asked if it grew locally. The woman's response was "who would want to ?". We had too many pine trees in our yard for that to be a success anyway. My favorite rhubarb recipe is rhubarb crisp. I got this recipe from Martha Stewart Living magazine:

8 large stalks rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Mix 3/4 cup sugar into rhubarb & let sit for one hour. Then add in another 3/4 cup sugar & 1/2 cup flour. Ok to add more flour if too soupy. Pour into greased 2 1/2 qt casserole dish.

Topping:
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
one stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
one tablespoon cinnamon
Mix together ingredients & sprinkle over rhubarb. Bake for about an hour at 375 degrees (until topping is browned). Serve with cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment