Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy Nurses' Week!

This week is Nurses' Week. I've been a nurse for twenty-six years. Mostly been employed part time (a true blessing). I've worked in a nursing home, on a medical floor in a hospital, on a modified ICU unit, on an adolescent psych unit (not a good fit for me), ICU, phone triage nurse, cardiac rehab & now in outpatient surgery. That is one of the many perks of being a nurse. You can change hats if you want. I didn't start out wanting to be a nurse though. I headed off to college unsure of what I wanted to do. I graduated with a bachelors degree & was working in a bookstore. I had considered nursing but thought I'd be too squeamish. I only became confident about it when my sister, Connie, got accepted into nursing school. That sibling competitiveness kicked in & I thought that if she can do it I can do it too! She did it & I did too. Pictured is a four inch porcelain figure that Connie gave me when I graduated from nursing school. I still have it. And I'm still a nurse. Thanks, Connie!

No comments:

Post a Comment