Sunday, March 21, 2010

tag sale

Tag sales are a regular occurrence here in Lincoln. I meant to go to one in my neighborhood last fall but there was a line out the door & down the sidewalk. I stayed away. But there's one in my neighborhood this weekend. Just three houses away. Started yesterday morning at nine o'clock. I watched the cars parking in the street & finally at ten minutes before nine I made my way over to see if they were letting anyone in the door. I was given a number (#84) & told it would be at least half an hour before I'd get inside. So I went home & walked the dogs only to return to the house & find they were letting in everyone. My #84 didn't matter!

Everything was already "tagged". The usual things you'd expect from a long life in one house. Quilts. Furniture. Kitchen appliances & dishes. Lots of knick knacks. Doilies. I ran into an former coworker, Sue, who nabbed a fur collar she was sure was made of real fur. Rotary dial telephones (I carried one around for awhile then put it back). Garage stuff. Old stuff.

What I finally walked out the door with though is something I've always loved . . . books. Paperbacks were fifty cents & hardbacks were $1. I found this Frankie Yankovic polka book that included the music for the Beer Barrel Polka! I couldn't pass that up. I'll be thinking of dad when I'm trying to play that.





I found other guitar music books (yes, Christy, I still pick up my guitar).



There was this old photography book. The cameras may change but the concepts don't.



And of course another cookbook. I tried the blueberry recipe that had a blue star marking it. It calls for a long baking time & my cake ended up dry. And I only baked it for an hour. If I make it again I'll have to decrease the baking time even more. But it was a way to use some frozen blueberries.





So it was an interesting tag sale. I'm happy with my $11 of purchases. I also got a tour of another neighborhood home (it needs lots of updating). The tag sale continues today, but I plan to stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment